Molecular biologist, obtained his undergraduate Degree of Pharmacologist at the Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry of the University of Buenos Aires (FFyB-UBA). Received his Master in Experimental Biology at the Metropolitan Autonomous University of Mexico, his PhD from the FFyB-UBA at the Lanari Institute of the Faculty of Medicine -UBA, and conducted his Postdoctoral research at the Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry in Munich, Germany.
He is currently a Professor at the Faculty of Exact and Natural Sciences (FCEN) of the University of Buenos Aires (UBA), senior researcher at the National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET) of Argentina, External Scientific Member of the Max Planck Society of German,y and Director of the IBioBA-CONICET-MPSP.
His work has been awarded in multiple occasions with the Guggenheim Fellowship by the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, New York, USA; the Bernardo Houssay Award to the best BioMedical Researcher from the National Secretary of Science, Argentina; the Bunge y Born Foundation Award for Outstanding Researcher in Experimental Medicine; the Konex Award; the award to Outstanding Personality of Science granted by the city of Buenos Aires; the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany; the Berthold Medal-DGE-Germany, and the TWAS Prize, among others.
Throughout his professional career he directed 18 MDs or PhDs thesis and his work (more than 170 papers) was published in different journals such as Cell, Molecular Endocrinology, FASEB, J. Clin. Invest., Endocrinology and Trends Pharmacol Sci. among others. In addition, he participated as invited speaker in more than 150 conferences, workshops and symposia both in Argentina and abroad.
He leads the “Physiopathological impact and molecular mechanisms of inflammatory mediators” and “Neuro-endocrine tumors: cellular and molecular mechanisms” research projects at IBioBA-MPSP.
- Tedesco L, Elguero B, Pacin DG, Senin S, Pollak C, Garcia Marchiñena PA, Jurado AM, Isola M, Labanca MJ, Palazzo M, Yankilevich P, Fuertes M, Arzt E.
Von Hippel-Lindau mutants in renal cell carcinoma are regulated by increased expression of RSUME.
Cell Death Dis. 10:266 (2019).
- Fuertes M., Sapochnik M., Tedesco L., Senin S., Attorresi A., Ajler P., Carrizo G., Cervio A., Sevlever G., Bonﬁglio JJ., Stalla GK., Arzt E.
Protein stabilization by RSUME accounts for PTTG pituitary tumor abundance and oncogenicity.
Endocr Relat Cancer, 25:665-676, 2018.
- Deussing JM, Arzt E.
P2X7 Receptor: A Potential Therapeutic Target for Depression?
Trends Mol Med, 24:736-747, 2018.
- Antunica-Noguerol, M., Budziñski, ML., Druker, J., Gassen, NC., Sokn, MC., Senin, S., Aprile-Garcia, F., Holsboer, F., Rein, T., Liberman, AC., Arzt, E.
The activity of the glucocorticoid receptor is regulated by SUMO conjugation to FKBP51.
Cell Death Differ. 23:1579-91 (2016)
- Gerez J, Tedesco L, Bonfiglio JJ, Fuertes M, Barontini M, Silberstein S, Wu Y, Renner U, Páez-Pereda M, Holsboer F, Stalla GK, Arzt E.
RSUME inhibits VHL and regulates its tumor suppressor function.
Oncogene 34: 4855-4866 (2015)
- Druker, J.; Liberman, A.C.; Antunica Noguerol, M.; Gerez, J.; Paez Pereda, M.; Rein, T.; Iñiguez Lluhí, J.A.; Holsboer, F., Arzt, E.
RSUME enhances Glucocorticoid Receptor SUMOylation and transcriptional activity.
Molecular and Cellular Biology 33:2116-27 (2013)
- Perez Castro, C.; Renner, U.; Haedo, M.; Gunter, K.; Stalla, G.K.; Arzt, E.
Cellular and Molecular Specificity of Pituitary Gland Physiology.
Physiological Reviews 92:1-38 (2012)
- Giacomini, D., Páez- Pereda, M., Stalla, J., Stalla, G.K., Arzt, E.
Molecular interaction of BMP-4, TGF-beta and estrogens in lactotroph: impact on the PRL promoter.
Mol Endocrinology 23:1102-1114 (2009)
- Liberman, A., Refojo, D., Druker, J., Toscano, M., Rein, T., Holsboer, F., Arzt, E.
Glucocorticoids inhbit T-bet transcriptional activity by direct protein-protein interaction.
FASEB J. 21:1177-88 (2007)
- Carbia Nagashima, A., Gerez, J., Perez Castro, C., Páez- Pereda, M.P., Silberstein, S., Stalla, G.K., Holsboer, F., Arzt, E.
RSUME, a small RWD-containing protein, enhances SUMO conjugation and stabilizes HIF-1alfa during hypoxia.
Cell 131:309-323 (2007)
- Castillo, V., Giacomini, D., Páez- Pereda M., Stalla, J., Labeur, M., Theodoropoulou, M., Holsboer, F., Grossman, A.B., Stalla, G.K., Arzt, E.
Retinoic acid as a novel medical therapy for Cushing’s disease in dogs.
Endocrinology 147:4438-4444 (2006)
- Arzt, E., Holsboer, F.
CRF signaling: molecular specificity for drug targeting in the CNS.
Trends Pharmacol Sci. 10:531-538 (2006)
- Refojo, D., Echenique, C., Müller, M.B., Reul, J.M.H.M., Deussing, J.M., Wurst, W., Sillaber, I., Páez- Pereda, M., Holsboer, F., Arzt, E.
CRH activates ERK1/2 MAPK in specific brain areas.
PNAS – Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 102:6183-6188 (2005)
- Páez- Pereda, M., Giacomini, D., Refojo, D., Carbia Nagashima, A., Hopfner, U., Grübler Y., Chervin, A., Golcberg, V., Goya, R., Hentges, S., Low, M.J., Holsboer, F., Stalla, G.K., Arzt, E.
Involvement of bone morphogenetic protein 4 (BMP-4) in pituitary prolactinoma pathogenesis through a Smad/estrogen receptor cross talk.
PNAS – Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 100:1034-1039 (2003)
- Kovalovsky, D., Refojo, D., Liberman, A.C., Hochbaum, D., Páez- Pereda, M., Coso, O.A., Stalla, G.K., Holsboer, F., Arzt, E.
Activation and induction of Nur77/Nurr1 in corticotrophs by corticotropin-releasing hormone/cAMP: involvement of calcium, protein kinase A and mitogen activated protein kinase pathways.
Molecular Endocrinology 16:1638-1651 (2002)
- Arzt, E.
The gp130 cytokine family signaling in the pituitary gland: a paradigm for cytokine-neuroendocrine pathways.
J. Clin. Invest. 108:1729-1733 (Perspective Editorial) (2001)
- Costas, M., Trapp, T., Páez- Pereda, M., Sauer, J., Rupprecht, R., Nahmod, V., Reul, J., Holsboer, F., Arzt, E.
Molecular and functional evidence for in vitro cytokine enhancement of human and murine target cell sensitivity to glucocorticoids: TNF- priming increases glucocorticoid inhibition of TNF–induced cytotoxicity/apoptosis.
J. Clin. Invest. 98:1409-1416 (1996)
- Arzt, E., Buric, R., Stelzer, G., Stalla, J., Sauer, J., Renner, U., Stalla, G.K.
Interleukin involvement in anterior pituitary cell growth regulation: effects of Interleukin-2 and Interleukin-6.
Endocrinology 132:459-467 (1993)
- Arzt, E., Stelzer, G., Renner, U., Lange, M., Müller, O.A., Stalla, G.K.
Interleukin-2 and Interleukin-2 receptor expression in human corticotrophic adenoma and murine pituitary cell cultures.
J. Clin. Invest. 90:1944-1951 (1992)