Biologist and PhD, University of Buenos Aires. Postdoctoral studies, Institut Pasteur (Paris, France) and post-doctoral research scientist at the University of Dundee (Scotland, UK). Since 2004, group leader (Research Group PhosphoSites) at the University of Saarland and University of Frankfurt (Germany).
Has has received awards in science and on applied research and business plan competitions. Between 2011 and 2016, has been part of the editorial board of the Journal of Biological Chemistry. Since 2016 he is a Researcher at CONICET and group leader at IBioBA-MPSP.
- Leroux AE, Biondi RM.
Renaissance of Allostery to Disrupt Protein Kinase Interactions.
Trends Biochem Sci. 45:27-41 (2020).
- Leroux AE, Schulze JO, Biondi RM.
AGC kinases, mechanisms of regulation and innovative drug development.
Semin Cancer Biol. 48:1-17 (2018)
- Schulze JO, Saladino G, Busschots K, Neimanis S, Süß E, Odadzic D, Zeuzem S, Hindie V, Herbrand AK, Lisa MN, Alzari PM, Gervasio FL, Biondi RM.
Bidirectional Allosteric Communication between the ATP-Binding Site and the Regulatory PIF Pocket in PDK1 Protein Kinase.
Cell Chemical Biology 23, 1193–1205 (2016)
- Kroon E, Schulze JO, Süß E, Camacho CJ, Biondi RM, Dömling A.
Discovery of a Potent Allosteric Kinase Modulator by Combining Computational and Synthetic Methods.
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 16; 54:13933-6. (2015)
- Zhang H, Neimanis S, Lopez-Garcia LA, Arencibia JM, Amon S, Stroba A, Zeuzem S, Proschak E, Stark H, Bauer AF, Busschots K, Jørgensen TJ, Engel M, Schulze JO, Biondi RM.
Molecular Mechanism of Regulation of the Atypical Protein Kinase C by N-terminal Domains and an Allosteric Small Compound.
Chem. Biol. 21:754-65 (2014)
- Busschots K, Lopez-Garcia LA, Lammi C, Stroba A, Zeuzem S, Piiper A, Alzari PM, Neimanis S, Arencibia JM, Engel M, Schulze JO, Biondi RM
Substrate-Selective Inhibition of Protein Kinase PDK1 by Small Compounds that Bind to the PIF-Pocket Allosteric Docking Site.
Chem. Biol. 19:1152-63 (2012)
- Lopez-Garcia LA, Schulze JO, Fröhner W, Zhang H, Süß E, Weber N, Navratil J, Amon S, Hindie V, Zeuzem S, Jørgensen TJD, Alzari PM, Neimanis S, Engel M, Biondi RM.
Allosteric regulation of protein kinase PKCz by the N-terminal C1 domain and small compounds to the PIF-pocket.
Chem. Biol. 18:1463-73 (2011)
- Hindie, Stroba, Zhang, Lopez-Garcia, Idrissova, Zeuzem, Hirschberg, Schaeffer, Jorgensen, Engel, Alzari, Biondi RM.
High resolution complex structure and allosteric effects of low molecular weight activators on the protein kinase PDK1.
Nat. Chem. Biol. 5, 758-64. (2009)
- Engel M, Hindie V, Lopez-Garcia LA, Stroba A, Schaeffer F, Adrian I, Imig J, Idrissova L, Nastainczyk W, Zeuzem S, Alzari PM, Hartmann RW, Piiper A, Biondi RM.
Allosteric activation of protein kinase PDK1 with low molecular weight compounds.
EMBO J. 25:5469-80. (2006)
- Biondi RM, Komander D, Thomas CC, Lizcano JM, Deak M, Alessi DR, van Aalten DMF.
High resolution crystal structure of the human PDK1 catalytic domain defines the regulatory phosphopeptide docking site.
EMBO J. 21, 4219-4228. (2002)
- Frodin M, Antal TL, Dummler BA, Jensen CJ, Deak M, Gammeltoft S, Biondi RM.
AGC kinases and PDK1 contain a phospho-Ser/Thr binding pocket that mediates activation by hydrophobic motif phosphorylation.
EMBO J. 21, 5396-5407. (2002)
- Frame SM, Cohen P, Biondi RM.
A common phosphate binding site explains the substrate specificity of GSK3 and its inactivation by phosphorylation.
Mol. Cell. 7, 1321-1327. (2001)
- Biondi RM, Kieloch, A, Currie R, Deak M, Alessi DR.
The PIF-binding pocket in PDK1 is essential for activation of S6K and SGK but not PKB.
EMBO J. 20, 4380-4390. (2001)
- Biondi RM, Cheung PCF, Casamayor A, Deak M, Currie RA, Alessi DR.
Identification of a pocket in the PDK1 kinase domain that interacts with PIF and the C-terminal residues of PKA.
EMBO J. 19, 979-988. (2000)